Monday, July 18, 2011

And you too, buddy!

I grew up in the sticks, my back yard was the forest and there was a creek my friends and I could catch diseases swim in. I was always outside playing - climbing trees, building forts that looked nothing like forts, digging in the dirt with my mom's spoons, playing with the dogs, whatever kept me busy.


Once when I was about 5 years old I was outside playing and my mom comes to the back door and tells me it's time to come in. My response was to turn around and give her the "up yours" gesture. You know the one where you use both arms. If you don't know what it looks like - google it. Or go ask someone and then come back.


Needless to say she was none too pleased and I got the whoopin' of a lifetime! All the way through the house to my room, "Mandy Michelle! Don't you. (spank!) EVER! (slap) do that! (spank spank!!) again!!!" Sobbing into my room after my door closed I got into my bed and under my covers where I did it again. Only this time she didn't see me and I giggled through my hiccups. Silver caps on the front two teeth gleaming an evil grin!


As a child I wasn't fully aware of what it meant - I just knew I'd see adults do it when they were not so pleased about the actions of another. Now as an adult I fully know what it means and anytime someone gives me friction I do my best to refrain from pulling out the 'ol gesture. I'm pretty sure if I did it to my boss as he is ranting I may very well lose my job. Or to my boyfriend when he is mad about something he'd probably think I'd gone mad and have me commited. Or to the pharmacist at my local CVS who is also so cantankerous! I want to yell, "scrotum sack ball licker!" while I gesture away just to see how they'd resond to it all. But since I'm of sound mind (most days) - I keep it inside my head and the 5 year old that still lives inside of me giggles a giggle.


Until next time....


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment